November 28, 2009

Chicago

While watching TV last night I nodded off but awoke to see the latest incarnation of the band Chicago perform their 1970 hit '25 or 6 to 4'. I read that the title came from the time they had remaining in the recording studio. Someone asked the time and the reply was "25 or 6 to 4".

I saw them in Louisville around '72. Whenever I hear a Chicago song it transports me back to that time.

Quiz...Can anyone tell me the name of the band as titled on their first album? They were threatened with a lawsuit by an municipal organization to change it.

From Wikipedia:

Chicago is an American pop rock/jazz fusion band formed in 1967 in Chicago, Illinois. The band began as a politically charged, sometimes experimental, rock band and later moved to a predominantly softer sound, becoming famous for producing a number of hit ballads. They had a steady stream of hits throughout the 1970s and 1980s. Second only to the Beach Boys in terms of singles and albums, Chicago is one of the longest running and most successful U.S. pop/rock and roll groups.

According to Billboard, Chicago was the leading U.S. singles charting group during the 1970s. They have sold over 120 million albums worldwide, scoring 22 Gold, 18 Platinum, and 8 Multi-Platinum albums. Over the course of their career they have charted five No. 1 albums, and have had twenty-one top ten hits.

1 comment:

  1. I grew up in Chicago and Chicago was one of the soundtracks to my teenage years.... however I only remember that white album with the logo on the front... I'm stumped for what the original name was. Did it have to do with gangsters? lol.

    They DID have so many hits, and I have many on my ipod. Brings me back to read about this....hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete