May 28, 2008

The Police

The Police are a three-piece rock band consisting of Sting (birth name: Gordon Sumner) vocals, bass guitar, Andy Summers (guitar, vocals) and Stewart Copeland (drums, percussion, vocals). The band became globally popular in the early 1980s, playing a style of rock that was influenced by jazz, reggae, and punk music. Their 1983 album, Synchronicity, was number one in the UK and the US and sold over 8,000,000 copies in the US. The band broke up in the mid-1980s, but reunited in early 2007 with the announcement that they were undertaking a world tour. The tour was scheduled from the middle of that year on until mid-2008. They performed at Churchill Downs last summer and I would have seen them but the tickets were a tad bit too pricey for me. To date The Police have sold over 50 million albums worldwide.

One of my favorite songs by The Police is Walking On The Moon. Here is a live performance of this song from the 1984 Synchronicity tour in Atlanta, Georgia. I seemed to always sing this to myself while I’m walking around in the pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment