June 29, 2009

A Thousand Clowns

I was messing around with my shortwave radio the other day and somehow got Michael Jackson on the line. His voice was unclear, coming through a thick wall of cracks, pops, and whistles. This is the transcript.

Where are you?

“I’m not sure; I think we’re in some sort of waiting room limbo. I took a number.”

Speaking of limbo, how did you learn to moonwalk?

"Marcel Marceau tried to teach me that little trick but I could never get the hang of it. I used a stunt double."

Wow, that was some illusion.

"My whole life was an illusion, man."

How do you mean?

"My life was so illusory, I didn’t even know myself. I was miserable most of the time, especially when I got older. I didn’t have the slightest idea how to deal with adults. I never grew up after the Jackson Five and stayed in a kind of mental neverland."

The media about you has been non-stop since your death. It must be gratifying that you had that much effect in the world.

"People who feed on that shit must have no life at all. It’s about nothing but money. Screw ‘em."

How did Jesse Jackson get involved with the Jacksons after your death?

"He’s an old family friend. As a matter of fact, he might be my biological father, well, either Jesse Jackson or Marcel Marceau."

1 comment:

  1. Did you say, "mime dance"? Yes, of course you did.

    Right on. (That's pre-glove and means you nailed it.)

    ReplyDelete